Monday, July 18, 2011

Head sculpting: Day III

OKAY, so this is my third day and third *time* attempting to sculpt Carrie Fisher's intricately beautiful face. My first two attempts became much larger than they should've been and turned out kinda ape-like...lmao. Anywho, despite the set backs I am optimistic and will stop at nothing to create an almost perfect replica of Leia as she appeared in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. Why that specific movie? Well when she began with A New Hope, George Lucas asked her to lose some weight for the next films and she got progressively thinner. I really like the medium she had in Episode V so I'm mainly using reference photos from that film.

I feel like if I can create the head sculpt beautifully then that's gonna really give me the massive momentum to push through the rest of the creation process, as I will be so totally thrilled. Plus the face is really the focal point of any figure and it can make or break a piece of art like this. I mean it's where everyone wants to start, I'm sure. I'm kind of meshing a few different approaches to sculpting the face. Yoshida and the online tutorial I read have ya drawing the face on and building it up from there and the AMAZING Andy Bergholtz (who does the sculpting for a lot of Sideshow Collectibles products, including the Star Wars ones) has a tutorial on his web site with a synopsis of his process which is great help. I recommend checking out his work as it is really very good, especially his likeness of Leia, though the nose protrudes just a tad too far in my opinion. Nevertheless she's very beautiful. My issue is the medium I'm working with. It's apoxie sculpt and while I SOOO Love it, it gets a little tougher to work with in an hour after mixing it together, which makes the process of details a bit tougher and more time consuming. I know beauty wasn't created in a day and miraculous feats like this take time, patience, and passion and I have that. I just wanna make sure that I can create this sculpt and have it be so breathtakingly beautiful with an extremely uncanny resemblance to Leia. That is my goal...here's to day three.

Oh and here's a picture that's really also fueling me. It's one of the first looks I wanna create for Leia once she's fabricated and perfected. It's Jedi Knight Leia:

No comments:

Post a Comment